Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Dug over the penultimate plot where the bonfire was today. that leaves only one more plot to tackle, can't wait to see the whole allotment turned over.




Monday, 27 February 2012

Here goes the last bed

Made a start on digging the last rough bed today whch had been covered by the bonfire, nice to see the whole thing joining up.

While I was working a Coppice chap passed by down the side lane and after falling into conversation, he offered to sell me some real hazel bean poles and pea sticks which I gladly agreed to!


Sunday, 26 February 2012

Fruit Trees... the first planting!

It was a really nice day yesterday and it coincided with our first planting, 5 fruit trees in the top end of the plot.

The roots were first soaked in a solution of water and "Rootmost" for half an hour. This will help the roots take and prevent infection while the trees get established.




















Then Taking out a hole about 18 inches deep to take the root ball using the trusty Azada again and put the tree in place and a sturdy stake to prevent it rocking in the wind.



 
Five trees later and we have an orchard!
Two Apples, A Pear, A Plum and a Cherry. We then just seeded under the trees and roped off the newly grassed area.


Saturday, 25 February 2012

Friday, 24 February 2012

Ready to burn!

The bramble pile has been separated into 3 piles this morning to burn after 4pm today which is when the allotment regs allow! See this happen later!







Thursday, 23 February 2012

A lovely day and a little more done

Today the sun shone and although I only did a short stint it was satisfying.
I finished digging the very top bed and laid a path to the bonfire from the opposite end. Only a gap of about 10 yards of path left now so the bonfire will have to go up in flames this weekend...



Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Preparing for the shed

The new shed is due anytime so preparing the space, manged to beg some
flat stone for a base, I will be laying a weed protective membrane, then
the stone, then on top the wooden shed bearers and finally the shed
wooden floor which will take the shed structure...





































Also extended the rear turf path as far as the bonfire, it will soon join up all the
way around the plot when the bonfire is gone which should be in the next couple
of weeks.


Monday, 20 February 2012

A little closer

Another good session today and I am nearly up to the bonfire...




































A bit more of the back path laid too...


Friday, 17 February 2012

Joining things up

Now time to tackle the rather large plot to join up with the two either side. This will largely become the fruit tree area and space for shed and compost heap.

 

Meeting up with some pretty brutal daddy bramble roots here!


But progressing well..

Also using up the rough turf as I lift it to start the final rear path...
It looks a bit rough but a bit of treading in and when it starts to grow
I should be able to mow it into shape over time.

One more good day should see this plot complete, this will only leave the plot
under the bonfire to tackle. I am beginning to see the end of the really rough work approaching now.



Thursday, 16 February 2012

Preparing for the fruit orchard

The top end of the allotment is now under preparation to take a small shed, compost heap and fruit trees and bushes.

A couple more visits should see this ready to go. But under the area where the rear path is to be laid I discovered a corrugated iron sheet buried sideways deep into the soil. I would need to dig down about 4 feet to remove it so I decided to put the Azada to another task... Some hefty swipes under the path surface and the Azada cut clean through the iron sheet, allowing me to leave the remainder 6" under the path for time to dispose of.

 
































 






































...and the way is clear to complete the plot.





































Now I have a clear view along the back edge of the allotment
where the final path will be laid.




Monday, 13 February 2012

looking back..

Out of interest...an aerial view to see the state of the plot before work began....














And at ground level....




The plot thickens

Today I tackled the plot alongside the rough patch at the top end of the allotment. It proved to be a bit harder going as it was full of rubbish, roof sheeting, bricks and stones etc. as well as bramble roots. But nevertheless, the Azada got stuck in and now I have the beginning of the mini orchard to take the four fruit trees bought yesterday at Aldi....



Friday, 10 February 2012

Thursday, 9 February 2012

Now for the rough area at the end of the allotment...

The top end of the allotment had a huge pile of accumulated rubbish. Today it was time to move it and lay a path. I decided to recycle an area of turf alongside the main path. Once again, the trusty Azada proved to be the way forward...

First hack the rubbish pile away using the Azada...

 

Then lift the old turf, again the Azada proved superb, chopping the turf into rectangles and lifting easily...
























Then level the path area and start to lay the turf...

 

Soon, lots of progress...























Finally, Job Done...
























An impressive improvement to the look of the plot....