Sunday, 24 June 2012

1st crop



After a week away, we went down to see how things were going. During the week away, some of the potato strains had been attacked and were showing wilting, "burned" brown foliage. We decided to take up a root or two to see what was happening underground. If anyone recognises this we would be keen to hear what it may be.

"burned" looking effect on leaves
Only affecting 2 of the varieties we planted so far - very odd!
Different varieties were obviously more resistant


However, the affected potatoes actually had very nice clean new potatoes underground. Which we thoroughly enjoyed that evening. So nice to have our first reward after all the effort.























Friday, 15 June 2012

Tommy Toms!

We had a few tomato plants left over from the greenhouse at home so I put them in the allotment.







And a lid for the water butt....

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

A break in the rain at last

It has rained and rained for days preventing any real progress but today a few hours respite and I set up a compost cage and did a massive amount of weeding.


First the compost frame... I turned an old pallet into a compost frame. Cutting the pallet diagonally to form the sides. and using the slats on the other side to build a back. It only needs a tarpaulin cover now. I had so many weeds it was put to good use immediately.











































And a few hours of hands and knees left me with nice clean plots, the weeds had grown incredibly in the last two weeks with all the rain.